Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Still in Singapore - just confused. March 1

This morning I poked around and did some laundry and by noon I was ready for another adventure so I decided to head across town to the Chinese and Japanese gardens.

I had only gone 2 blocks when I came to a place which claimed to make the best Biryani in town, Bismillah Biryani. They were kind enough to tame it down for me and I quite enjoyed it.


Then I walked past this vacant lot. Even in Little India they maintain all the unused space. Notice there is lawn instead of garbage and weeds.


A store which carries the traditional Indian clothing.


Lots of nice produce at the markets and herbs I've never seen before.


All the streets are narrow, colorful and full of shops.


Finally, I arrived at the Metro and off to the gardens. It was a much bigger park than I expected. I had to walk a couple of hours to cover all the sights and there is another trail closer to the perimeter just for walking.

This is the bridge to the Japanese part.




Thousands of open lilies in the lily pond.




There is a turtle pond in the Chinese side. The turtles usually jump into the pond when they hear you coming.


Here and there you can see the city poking up beyond the trees.




A quiet area in a bamboo grove. The whole park has lots of seating where you can while away hours.




These birds are hanging around everywhere like our sparrows.



This pagoda had nothing inside except a cement staircase to go out to view any level.



Here is a view of the park from the top.


Another view from the other side.


Up close and personal with a pigeon.


Looking down the staircase is a nice spiral.


So is looking up.


Confucius is just one of many honourable statues.

From here I headed back to the Metro to go home. I made an extra Metro stop to get a tasty supper and then rolled on home.

So tomorrow is the day I actually go to Yogyakarta, Java but since I am a day behind with posting I got mixed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment