Friday, March 25, 2011

Another fantastic unplanned day. March 25

I got up this morning and packed up for a day of exploring but I no sooner started and it started to rain. I ducked into this little restaurant a half a block away. I sat on this deck by the ocean and waited for it to blow over.



I marveled at how the clouds, sky and water could all be the same colour.




I headed for the bus stop, picking up a new umbrella along the way. Out on the main street I passed the Mosque which is directly behind my guest house. I am glad I don't live beside one because all the praying, chanting and preaching over loud speakers is rather annoying.


Then I took the bus to the end of the line which is where they said I would find a small fishing village, Pulau Penang.

The first thing I did was to walk out on the pier to look at the boats. This is a big government owned pier and they were just bring in the morning catch.


They take the fish away with a motorbike with a side car on it. I had to laugh when I saw the guys on the boats, none of them had their pants on. The guy in this picture just came up off the boat and the rest had come from shore. Maybe that is why I was the only woman out there.



The wharf was right next door to the National park entrance so I went to check that out and booked a boat tour around the outside of the park. The wharf on the left belongs to the park and the rickety one on the right is privately owned by the fishermen.



Here you see the view from the sea and the National Park office.



This is my driver and guide for my private tour.



We are heading out of the bay which is called Teluk Bahong Bay and passing by the fish farms and floating chalets. The fish they produce are for local restaurants.



I am guessing these might be the chalets? There isn't anything else out here.



The first beach we look at has a long pier too and it is the home of the University of Marine and Coastal Studies. We didn't go on land there.



This is a fishing charter with tourists.



We landed at Kerachert Beach first. It is around the far side of the park. There is a Meromic Lake there and this is the inlet for it.



The lake is almost dry right now but at times it can be up to 9 feet deep. As they explained it to me a meromic lake is one which is filled by the sea under certain conditions where the winds are strong and as it blows the water up the channel it raises a ridge of sand which prevents the water from leaving. Fresh water enters the lake from rain and eventually the winds cause the sand to be washed away and the lake drains again. There are only 19 such lakes in the world.



It was possible to walk here if you wanted to spend a couple of hours in the forest, which I didn't. I did meet someone who had walked coming over this bridge though.



Also on this beach is a hatchery and sanctuary for green sea turtles. The only ones there were these babies. They keep them safe for a while and then release them.



Next we stopped at monkey beach. There were quite a few monkeys hanging around very interested in a BBQ some people were having.



There was a bit of a rustic campsite here. It is possible to get a permit to camp in the park.



This beach was lovely. Pretty safe right now but some seasons there are jelly fish which sting.



A lily blooming on the beach.



Back in the boat now we are watching some monitor lizards on the rocks. We also stopped and watched some young golden eagles fishing.



Once back on land I took a look around in the sleepy little fishing village.



I could see this building from out on the water. It is newer than I thought but is stained black from the moisture.



I took the bus again, towards thedirection of the guesthouse but got off at the Tropical Spice Garden along the way. Finally, some different flowers!

These ones I had seen in Thailand. I think they are a type of orchid which grows on vines. They were hanging down in the entrance way.


Wow!



They call this one cat's whiskers.



I was pleased to see the source plants of some of my essential oils like Ylang-ylang. They also had Patchouli, my favourite.



They had two stet of amazing doors.





This was a log which was washed onto the beach in the 2004 Tsunami and they made it into a memorial for those who lost their lives.



A succulent Gesneriad.



Heliconia.

An amazing water lily.





A tree swing with a safety net below.



No name on this one.
As I was working my way to the end in the park I came across these people. The park is planning to set up a series of cooking classes using their own Herbs and spices and this Indian woman was giving a trial class in Indian cusine. She asked me to join them and I did. She made curry, rice, masala and salad.



Then we ate it. It was good, but one dish was too hot for me. This one actually, the Masala. It was enough to serve as my supper though.

Tomorrow I leave here and move to Georgetown, the only city on Penang. I will be there for three nights.


No comments:

Post a Comment