Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Arriving Kupang, West Timor March 14

Kupang is a city divided into four sections. We are looking at the industrial section.



This tug is coming over to push us to the port.


Harbour views.





As we are leaving the ship I notice that a couple of people have live chickens under their arms. I have no idea where the chickens were for three days.
I grabbed the shot too quick and missed the guy's face.


And finally, when I got off I took a picture of the ship. Doesn't look too bad does it?

I picked an inexpensive place from the Lonely Planet as I often do if I have no other leads. The room was good but it has a less than respectable bathroom with no shower. Since I thought I was headed out again the next day I decided to rough it one more time and I didn't look for anywhere else.
There is a beach and a view right across the street.





My first mission is to go find Internet to confirm my arrival.
I walked past this multi-coloured chicken that was tied by a string on it's leg.


On my way along I stopped for many chats with people on the street. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. I turned down an invitation for tea and I did find an Internet place which wasn't very good but made contact. It was way too slow to blog so that will be left for another time.
As I was walking home I was just passing this printing place when it started to pour. They invited me in and even made me some hot chocolate.


I have to say that I just don't work well with these bathrooms.
The square thing is just a container for clean water and you use the dipper to pour the water (cold) over yourself to have a bath/shower. Only trouble is the inside of the tub was slimy and mouldy. I was going to take water directly out of the tap but they filled my tub and shut off the water. SO.... I used bottled water to wash. I scrubbed out the dipper to put it into and used my little kettle to heat it up. The toilet didn't flush and the sink had a drain pipe but it leaked so I couldn't wash in there.
I think I need another Singapore break.
So tomorrow they book my bus to Dili in East Timor and I am out of here at 5:00 PM.



No comments:

Post a Comment