Sunday, March 27, 2011

Kuah Town on Langkawi Island March 27

Today I am taking the ferry to Kuah on Langkawi Island because the whole town is supposed to have duty-free shopping. I walked over to the Georgetown jetty as the sun was thinking about coming up. I discovered the light was amazing for some pictures of the town.





Morning begins to dawn on the clock tower near the jetty.



Here is Fort Cornwallis, a star shaped fort established by the British. There are many amazing buildings here from the British era.



Here I am boarding the ferry.


It is called Super Fast Ferry not just fast ferry and is shaped like a bullet. If that wasn't enough to scare me there was also a storm in progress.




I was in the lower level and I had a row of four leather seats to myself. Once we got underway there was too much water spraying out from the boat to see anything out the window so I decided to have a nap. I woke up when we hit a wave that nearly dumped me on the floor. All around me people were vomiting and I could tell that if I lifted my head I would be joining them so I stayed where I was.




Throughout the whole trip I was planning an alternative for the trip back like a bus on the mainland or a plane.


We arrived at Kuah jetty safe and sound and I had five hours to see what bargains I could find.


The town was clean, modern and very green but I was shopping not looking around so I didn't take many pictures.


They had lots of these red brick bridges around.


Here they used a natural out cropping of rock as a gateway to a park.



One view at the harbour.


One view at sea.

The weather was calmer in the afternoon and I came back on the ferry.


I managed to find a new day-trip back-pak. I seem to go through a lot of them so I now have a tough one made by Caterpillar, the tractor people.


I was looking for a black cardigan that would allow me to turn some of my beach wear into street wear in Paris. No luck of course as the sizes here are very tiny.


I also got a spare battery for my camera and some gravol for the trip home. I took it but I wouldn't have needed to.


Tomorrow I am just poking around in Georgetown and preparing for my flight to KL tomorrow. I have only two days left in Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment