Sunday, March 6, 2011

Finally, checking out Bali March 6

I thought I would show you my dorm room here because it is quite nice. It is clean and white with big fluffy duvets. It is air conditioned like a refrigerator which is good here as it was 35 degrees today.



It poured hard rain for about an hour tonight and I went out to look so I took a picture of our sign, The Island Bali.

.



Here is the neighbourhood snail. He appears on the mat in front of our room every night., He is twice as big as my big toe. One of the hotel staff said I should bring this one and 49 more and he would make a saute.


This morning I wanted to start to make arrangements for my next leg of travel but because it is Sunday of the holiday weekend the offices aren't open until tomorrow, so I booked another night here and went to the beach.
This is one of the walkways to the beach and it connects to a couple more of these around the corner. It would be a pretty isolated walk after dark.


I rented myself a lounge and settled down to read but the touts turned up right away. I let this woman talk me into a foot massage and she was pretty good.


A view looking down the beach.


Looking up the beach.


I hadn't even finished my massage when this woman showed up and sat down with me. She was selling jewelry and she also did nails. She wasn't pushy at all, just friendly. I liked her get-up. There were a couple more after her and then they all left me alone.


After lunch I joined three other people from the hostel to share a taxi for touring.
We started at the Tanah Lat Temples. This is the gate.


This is one of the three temples on the site.


Sonia and Travis, two of our crew in front of the temple.




Stairs down to the beach.


The sand is black and the cliffs are well worn by the water,


I haven't seen the movie Eat, Pray, Love but apparently there are beaches with black sand in the Bali portion of the movie.


Flower of the day.


This is a view of the second temple at this site.
We ran short of time because we enjoyed the beach too long so we didn't get to the third temple but it wasn't on the water either.


After this we headed for Padang-Padang Beach.
This is the pathway of stairs descending to the beach.


A peek at the beach halfway down.


Small but nice.


This big boulder just fit into my camera screen. It is huge and balancing on a couple of points.


After a quick look at the beach we headed for the Uluwatu Temple where the Kecak Fire Dance was being held.


We passed through here relatively quickly and I was glad because the place was full of monkeys.




Here is one holding a baby.


You can see monkeys sitting along the walls.

Looks like pappy and a young one.


This is my touring crew; Travis, Sonia and Nicki. We are all wearing wraps to cover our bare legs for the temple.


A performer lighting the lamps for the fire show.


The chorus. I took other pictures which didn't turn out because of movement and lack of light.
It was an interesting show.


I am looking forward to my bed tonight. I went to bed early last night because the lights were off and I woke up a couple of times during the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment