Friday, March 18, 2011

A good day for doors! March 17

Hello there! Welcome to Sanur!



It is not hard to find temples here in Bali or these stone creatures either. It is interesting the way the moss clings to them.




Flower of the day.



This one looks quite a bit newer than the others.

Most of the temples are not very large and are just in amongst the other buildings. They are nearly always run down looking but the are much used every day.

Many of these statues today were found in the UPTD Museum of Bali.



This door is from an old house in the museum.


I set out about 8:00 in the morning to walk the beach. I walked for hours with many stops and detours and didn't come to the other end of either the beach or Sanur. It is a pretty good beach for sunbathing. It is shallow for a long way out and safe for kids because the waves break out on the reef. It is not one of the dive spots here though.




This odd diamond shaped building is a wedding chapel.




Boats lined up on the shore looking like a pack of mosquitoes.



A very ornate temple doorway.



This temple had several variations on the fish theme and they were all scary.


I am still walking along the beach, poking into the shops and talking to the locals.


This door is actually a gate but it still qualifies for the collection.


Just a couple more doors.





After I got past the local vendors and the temples I came to the upscale resorts and they went on for miles. One of them offered the use of the pool to non guests for 50,000Rb ($5.00 US) per day. I think I might do that tomorrow.

This deal combined with my cheap hotel is the best of both worlds.

And so my first day in Sanur, Bali ends. I have booked three more nights here and am keeping this hotel. I sit in the dinning area each night and blog having dinner or a snack and the restaurant is quite busy. It is unusual to find a budget hotel in combination with a popular restaurant. The name is The Watering Hole and it is in Lonely Planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment