Monday, March 28, 2011

Georgetown City March 28

Today was rather uneventful and lazy. I didn't feel like making the effort to see anything major so I decided to go to the shopping area of town. I walked past this Chinese looking temple ..... wait .... is that a parking meter? I haven't seen one of those in a while and here they are in downtown Georgetown.


Then I passed this building with speakers all around. It doesn't look like a mosque but I bet they have something to do with the Islam services.

The city is spacious and pleasant.

Kids clothing of every hue. I am getting used to the colorful clothing. It seems to go with the sun.


I came across Sam the importer right next to the kids store and he had a wonderful, lined, black, Chinese style wool jacket for a very lovely price and now it is mine. Paris, here we come! A sun dress and a wool jacket should do the trick.


I was only half way to the shopping center at this point and I decided to go anyway. It is huge and meandering with lots of small street shops all around on the streets. I managed to spend most of the afternoon there.


This old building was across the street from the shopping center.

This is a sky bridge joining all corners of a major intersection to the mall access.


The Komtar building is the tallest on Penang and it houses the state government and business hub as well as being connected to the mall of the same name.


A shot from the sky bridge. This street looks happy and healthy.


Here are a group of old buildings which could use a face lift.


Right next door they have all been improved already.



So, that was my day.


I had lunch while I was out and came home and tried to arrange my packs to accommodate all the new stuff. I can't use the new back-pak because I am limited to one bag and a carry on as Air Asia is a discount airline. I should be OK though for weight as well as size.


My big pak has a zippered extension which I have been careful not to use so I will have it for heading home if needed.


I have bought some things which I have just left along the way when I have no longer needed them. My blue plastic kettle that cost me $4.00 was a blessing even though I was likely drinking plastic chemicals from the water. That kettle gets to stop here.


Tomorrow my flight to KL is at noon. Just an hour flight but by the time I get to my guesthouse and get settled the day will be nearly done.

No comments:

Post a Comment