Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Arrive Yogyakarta March 2

I arrived here about 1:30 this afternoon. After a quick taxi ride I located my place, a funky artist's guesthouse and I booked my room. It is losmen (means guesthouse) Setia Kawan. (email:bedhots@hotmail.com). If you are travelling here and planning to stay in the backpackers area off Sosrowijayan Street this is a good choice, but book ahead because they are popular.
In fact you should book ahead no matter where you stay because there are many guys just standing around to latch on to tourists and try to convince them to go to particular businesses. I know this happens in other places but it is the worst I have seen.

I tried to find another place but between the many bad choices and the sticky street sellers I gave up and just booked the sleeping bus to Denpasar in Bali.

Then I went to check out the town. Once you are away from the backpacker/tourist area there aren't any of those touts on foot, just the ones with bicycle rickshaws and they are even necessary sometimes.

I crossed this bridge on the main street and had a good view of the little river and the many homes along it.


There are quite a few motorcycles here.


A main crossroad in the center of town.



It was 32 degrees here today. I read that somewhere but normally I don't even look. I haven't been cold since I left Ha Long Bay.

Another view of the main street.


Greening up the center street.






My room. I mentioned it was an artsy place and I will get a few more pictures today.



So, I am caught up on blogging again. I leave here today at noon for a 16 hour bus trip so I might not surface again for a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment