Saturday, March 26, 2011

Georgetown, Penang March 26

It has been raining morning and evening here every day and today was no exception. The rain broke about 10:00 this morning and I took the opportunity to grab the local bus to travel to Georgetown. It was a long ride around and around in the city but eventually I was delivered almost to my door.

I am staying in a dorm room in a UNESCO Heritage building. It is really an amazing place called the Old Penang Guesthouse. The main floor is cement and very old ceramic or cement tile. The ceilings are lofty and the stairways long. I am here for three nights.


The building is very long. This is the corridor on my floor.



Original shutters opening to the main floor below. The floor upstairs is the original planks.


It was after 1:00 when I arrived and I booked a ferry trip to Langkawi for tomorrow and then went walking around the neighbourhood making sure I could actually locate the ferry terminal on foot tomorrow and looking for a meal.

I just got nicely going and it started to pour buckets. I had my raincoat on and an umbrella and was still soaked to the knees. The water is warm and I was wearing my plastic sandals so no worries. It rained most of the afternoon only giving the big dumps every now and then. It feels good to have rain here as I have not had that much so far on the trip.

This city is known for having restaurants of every type of cuisine. They were not in the area I was walking in though so I finally got a nice loaf of bread and some cheese and went back to the guesthouse to eat.

Georgetown is also known for the lovely British architecture which is being restored and maintained, lots of UNESCO buildings.

Tomorrow I am hoping for sun in the afternoon to enjoy Langkawi Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment