Tuesday, February 1, 2011

One full day in Vang Vieng Jan31

The time is flying by now. I have only two months left. I am glad I tried the life of no responsibility. It is so nice.
I realize that it is not sustainable though. Once I have seen everything I want to see there will be a need for something else to do.
Fortunately, I am in the mood to worry about that later.

This is the main street of tiny little Vang Vieng. A lot of the town has been overtaken by the tourist industry. Restaurants of every kind and bars both quiet and ruckus dot every street.




A few steps from the main street you can find a dirt lane leading to the homes of the locals, living much the way they have for years.



The barber shop is very handy to the street and I doubt you need an appointment.



I try to find at least one flower, temple and door or window for every post.



These religious icons seem more interesting than most.



Another one.


Just outside of town in all directions are these beautiful pastoral scenes.



The town is famous for tubing on the river. Here is a tuk-tuk loaded with people and tubes heading out to get into the river so they can float back to town. Along the river there are ropes and swings for jumping into the water and bars to refresh.



Is it a catus or a plant? It has both leaves and prickles.



When I first saw my $6.00 per night hotel I was a little worried but it turned out OK. I didn't know that they are listed in the Lonely Planet as one of the party places but it seems the party action has moved to the new places down by the river.




Looking up, the place looks much better. It was not furnished very well and the sheets were shabby but clean. I have been booking online on hostels.com an have only had one really bad place.

Inside, they have some of these little corrals. You can see someone sleeping in this pic. They also sit there to eat, drink, watch TV an do Internet. It is just like having a family room in the lobby and you can usually find a couple of people there in the morning catching up on their sleep.


There are many new hotels going up too. The town appears to be thriving on tourists.


Tomorrow I am taking a mini-van to Luang Prabang.

No comments:

Post a Comment