Friday, February 4, 2011

Luang Probang, Feb 4

I finally got around to get a picture of my hostel. It is OK but run by untrained people so there are some screw-ups. They haven't got a computer in the office so they run across the street to find out if there are any more beds left. It kind of gets people riled up. I booked mine online a few days ahead with hostels.com and that was problem free.


The street where I live is one of the nicest I've seen in the area.

I just accidentally published again, sorry.


Looking across the street.



A platter of street BBQ food. You can get it in a Styrofoam container with sauces or in a baguette with veggies. Cheap eats.



Bamboo growing alongside a fence.



I had lunch in this outdoor place by the river.



The view of the street from there.



Another beautiful street.


On the way to the theater I passed by the Cultural Survival Project. It was a fenced area which appears to have been an old monastery. Here are some pictures I took in there.







From there I walked to the museum, theater complex.

The first is the museum which I was never timed right to get into.



This is the Phalak-Phalam Theater.

We saw a cultural performance called Search for Princess Sida with one of the main characters being Phalak Phalam himself.

It was only a one hour show, with beautiful costumes and live music. I enjoyed it.

It looks like it plays every night at 6PM.

I don't think Asians take days off. They don't seem to know what it is.


It was a small theater with chairs for seating.

The chairs varied in quality and nearness to the front according to price. In the front rows they were upholstered chairs with extra cushions and in the back, plastic garden chairs. Everyone could see and hear OK, it was all about the chairs.


After the theater I walked all the way through the night market to get to my hostel but I am out again having supper and blogging in a restaurant.


Tomorrow morning I'm off to Siem Reap by plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment