Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Siem Reap to Phnom Penh Feb 9

It was nice to drive through the country today. Cambodia is flat and full of rice fields. You could see for miles so I spent the journey looking out the window, a nice little reminder of home.
This was the best of the blurry shots from the bus.




The trip was only six hours so after I arrived I had time to go looking for the Malaysian Embassy to get my visa. I hired a tuk-tuk and gave him the address from my map. He said he was OK and drove to a street that had buildings which could have been Embassies so I got out but he couldn't point to one so I told him to wait and he asked for his money (only $2.00 US). I said no, I want you to wait and he asked to be paid again so I paid him. When I finally found an address on something I realized that it wasn't even the right street. While I was asking directions from some security guys he just drove away.

It was another version of "You walk now." and I never seem to see it coming.



So, the guards showed me on the map where we were and I started walking and did find the address about 10 blocks away but there was no Embassy. There was a hair salon though and hairdressers know "everything" so I went in and sure enough the girl I spoke to told me not only that the Embassy had moved recently but where they moved to.

See, I was right.

By then it was too late to go so I will do it tomorrow.





We stopped at a town along the road for refreshment break and parked beside a little market.

Right behind the motorbike are a couple of steel bowls of bugs, cooked of course. There was a modern restaurant as well if your tastes ran to something else today.






I think these must be cockroaches, also cooked. They actually smelled nice. I bet the Cambodian taste for bugs comes from the days when they were starving under the Khamer Rouge.

These babies were bigger than my thumb.



Tonight I had supper at a pizza place, a thick crust pizza place and was it ever good but it made my tummy hurt. Maybe I should have stayed fasting a while longer.

I booked my next flights to Bangkok overnight and then on to Koh Samui. With so many beach places in Thailand I had trouble picking a couple I thought I would like.

Well, that was my day. I still feel crappy with upset tummy.


No comments:

Post a Comment