Sunday, February 6, 2011

Angkor Wat Feb 6

I am on temple overload again. Angkor Wat, the grand daddy of them all, is way more than one temple. What follows is my pictorial journey through the Angkor Archaeological Park for as long as I could stand it. I did the inner circle of temples. There is also an outer circle and an area some distance from the main area. It would take at least 3 days to do it proper justice.

ANGKOR WAT
I walked quite a way in the dark to sit and wait for sunrise. Here is my first glimpse and I was surprised that it didn't look bigger (I mean after all the hype and all!). I was also disappointed to be unable to get the pictures I hoped for in the sunrise.


With a bit more light I could see to move and decided to get going.



Looking back toward what was left of the my sunrise comrades.


The lake in front of the gate was full of water lilies in bloom.


This is a view of Angkor Wat from the back.


One of the towers.


There was another lake out behind. I think they are originally used as reservoirs.


BAYON TEMPLE
Walking toward the temple gate.


This is the one with all the faces.






I don't know her but she made for a nice shot.


Nymphs.


BAPHUON TEMPLE

Many of the temples are being restored bit by bit.
These blocks all had carving on them.
Its a giant stone jig-saw puzzle.

PEAMEANAKAS Hindu Temple
There are new stairs on the back which I climbed to see the view.


It was a long way up on those tiny steps, and when I got there I saw that I would have to climb the next level to get the view and there were no stairs.

I settled for the view from this level.


PREAH PALILAY Buddhist Temple
These were nicer in person and I wonder if they have all these blocks in the right places.


Brilliant carvings on long fences.




TERRACE OF THE ELEPHANTS
Here there were many walls of beautiful carvings.




A flower surviving between the rocks.




CHAU SAY THEVODA TEMPLE


It is getting hot now, I have the hat out.


THOMMANOM TEMPLE




TA KEO TEMPLE


This one only has a few steps but they were monstrous. I went part way and changed my mind.
That's what happens when you are getting templed out.


I got some postcards from the girl in the front and then of course they all want to sell you something. My guide helped me settle them down for a picture.


TA PROM TEMPLE
This one is my favorite. It looks like a Hobbit house.


The Silk-Cotton trees seem to want to hold on to something when they put down roots. They have made quite a mess of this temple.




They are letting the trees go and they aren't restoring the walls as they decay so that people can see what happens over time as the jungle takes over.








It is really quite errie the way the crazy trees grow.


BANTEAU KDEI TEMPLE
This was a nice temple I just grabbed a couple of shots when my battery died.

By the time I got back to town I was done in. I had a rest and went out looking for a meal. I got an air-conditioned resturant and began to feel better after drinking four big glasses of water.
Funny, I will have to remember to drink because I don't feel thirsty when I am in the heat.
If you read this far congratulations. You must be suffering from temple burnout too.

No comments:

Post a Comment