Thursday, February 3, 2011

Luang Prabang Day 3 Feb 3


This morning I went out at 6:00 am to view the alms parade. The monks walk down the street with their begging bowls and people give them food. I actually bought a container of cooked rice from the stand of one of the street merchants and I was thinking I would donate it but then they told me to bring back the container when I was done. It seems that people actually make little balls of sticky rice with their bare hands and give one to each monk in his bowl. I didn't think my hands were clean enough to handle someones food so I changed my mind.
















Later I walked by the river in the morning light.
















Lovely river view.

















The neighbourhood is beautiful with its tiny lanes and its ornate stone and wood buildings.
















I napped until almost noon and then I climbed a hill in the center of town and saw Wat Tham Phu Si.
I know I said no more temples but I needed to climb this hill to see the city view.
















The path I took allowed me to walk through a little village hidden away up there and then I enjoyed a nice walk in the woods.
















Climbing up the hill I encountered many worship areas. These statues were interesting.
















This one is almost human size. Maybe Confucius, I don't know.
















From the top there was a nice view of the city in all directions.
















I set the above pictures to center, but they had a mind of their own and I don't know enough html to fix them.


There was a very old Wat that was still in use. Looking in the window.


Looking in the doorway at the tiny alter.


If you are not into my window and doorway pics scroll down now.
They are all from the tiny little Wat on the hill.











Louang Prabang is actually on an peninsula which is formed where the Nam Khan river meets the Mekong River.

It is a nice looking city.


On the main street there are many shops and guest houses as well as a restaurant to suit every taste.
There is not too much roughing it here.



The usual set-up is a guest house with an eatery below.

There is a tuk-tuk waiting in front of this one.



This one, as you can tell by the number of people, is a much loved bakery cafe.


My computer is still fine at other wi-fi places so that is a relief. I left my usb stick in the hotel computer and it walked away. It was just used to store pictures and transfer pics and files for printing. I can easily replace it.

Tomorrow night I have a ticket for the Royal Ballet.

No comments:

Post a Comment