Sunday, January 30, 2011

Vang Vieng - Small town Laos Jan 30

This town took me by surprise. It is only about 20,000 plus for population but it certainly has character.

I booked my place online and it kind of surprised me too. It is clean though and wasn't all that bad so by morning I had come to terms with it. Pictures tomorrow.


It doesn't take long to walk out to the country, which is beautiful. We are beside the Xong river and near the mountains.


These mountains look like the ones at Ha Long Bay.


The path to this restaurant is a wooden walkway of sometimes barely-there planks with a side rail of bamboo poles. It is not uncommon to meet motorcycles as you cross.


You can see in the above picture a number of little rooftops. These contain seating mats, pillows and a dining table so you can lounge and relax with your meal. There are many restaurants in town with this arrangement.


Ready for ballooning and waiting for the wind to go down.


Kids assembled to watch the balloons.



It is pretty low-key here but in a party kind of way. I heard lots of tales of last nights shenanigans at breakfast. It attracts lots of young backpackers and has a kind of new-age hippy feel to it.


I am glad I only booked one day here. I am sure there are places I will enjoy more than this. I thought about tubing but it isn't very warm and they do it as a party game anyway. There are make-shift bars along the river so that if you stop often enough you can be smashed when you get back. It is a lazy flowing river and quite low at the moment and it takes 2 or 3 hours to get back from where they put you in.

Tomorrow is a travel day again, 7 or 8 hours by bus to Luang Prabang.

No comments:

Post a Comment