Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Second day in Yangon, Nov 21st

A view of the lobby of my Guest House, May Shan Hotel, shot from the sitting area which also doubles as the family living area. It turned out to be a good central location and adequate digs with a private bath for $15 US per night.


La Pyayt Wan Shopping Center which is nicer than it looks including a large grocery, Internet, several restaurants and many shops is near my hotel.


Caught this glimpse of the train coming in to the station with people hanging out all windows and doors. I didn't use the train but it is said to be very slow and hot.

Train and station.


A typical way of carrying, even in the city.


Visiting the Shwedagon Paya, the largest in Myanmar. Folks from all over the country make pilgrimages here. As usual there are many steps to climb to enter and also, as usual, there are many sellers of articles for use in the temple and otherwise.



A view of the roof from a hallway.






A man placing incense after lighting it on the burner provided.

It was the day of a special full moon and the temple was extra busy well into the night.


This was "Burma" in my mind before coming here, the biggest and the best stupa in the country.


Many people brought meals and were eating and resting in the temple for hours at the foot of certain Buddhas.




While I was washing my feet outside the temple the little guy in red came over and indicated I should give him something to put in his mouth. He spied the popcorn in my pak so I offered it to him. Then his two pals showed up and they went nuts with awesome poses for pictures.

Photo of the Stupa I had just visited from a tower restaurant on the way back, the Sakura tower.


There were a gazillion bus company offices all in the same place. This was mine. Thankfully the hotel had booked my ticket and the taxi knew where to take me. It was a jungle of buses, offices, people coming and going and sellers of snacks.

A view coming into the bus depot area in the taxi. It was dark by the time we left Yangon for Mandalay.

Looking forward to seeing Mandalay but won't see much in between because of the darkness. Night bus was the only option unless you traveled in short hops.

No comments:

Post a Comment