Saturday, November 6, 2010

Paihia, Russell and Waitangi towns.

My journey today was to Waitangi treaty grounds for a reenactment of the signing of the treaty between the Maori and the Colonists. Before that show in the evening I had some exploring to do.

In the morning I took the bus from Kerikeri to Paihia where I would be picked up later that evening for transport to the show.

From Paihia I took this little ferry over to Russell, a little historical town across the bay.



I explored the town and found this stuffed Kiwi in a museum. Since they are nocturnal and I didn't expect to be able to see one in the wild I got its picture. They are bigger than I thought, about a foot tall or so.



This is the Pompallier Mission building in Russell built in 1842. It was a printery and tannery for the French missionaries in which they printed many books on Catholicism for the Maori people.




Here is a sample of the Maori text. The printing press and tannery (preparing leather for book covers) are still operational enough to give tourists a hands on experience.


This is a pic of my souvenir print which I unfortunately couldn't carry with me.

Having covered the highlights of the town I decided to walk to the swimming beach, Oneroa Bay, which was on the other side of the little peninsula. It only took just over half an hour but was uphill all the way.
This view is from the high point over the beach. I was planning to go down and walk on the beach until I realized I would have to climb that hill again to get out of there. I satisfied myself to look at it and headed back to the other side of the peninsula by another route.


Walking back down I noticed that nasturtiums are very prolific all along the roads.


There was another historic area on the west side that I wanted to see.
I walked back past the town and followed the road until I reached the hiking trail to the lookout. This resulted in another half hour or so walk, uphill all the way.
This picture is of the town of Russell from the historical lookout point.


Below is the only gas station I saw in the town. It had room on the lot to fill one car at a time.
Who needs gas? There is no where to go.
I had walked almost everywhere in a few hours.
The gas station did have a busy tackle and bait business though.
On the other hand, there were quite a few restaurants and hotels - the local business was tourism.
Taking the ferry back to Paihia.

Taiputuputu Pahi beach in Paihia.


An old stone Anglican church in Paihai.


These flowers are a beautiful pink and yellow but some were only pink and others just yellow.


No shortage of flowering trees around here.



The day ends with this wonderful drama depicting the signing of the treaty of Waitangi.
When I called to book this performance I was thinking that they picked up in Kerikeri but that was not the case. I knew I could get a bus down there but it was too late to bus home after. I thought I would be unable to go but the company kindly offered me a drive home if I could get there.
You know you are in a small town when ......... It was a good day!

2 comments:

Polar Pilot said...

Oddly enough we know the great granddaughter of the man who translated the text of the treaty between the Mauri;s and the whites in 1840

You are sure having a grand tour - you will be ready to walk from Saskatoon to Pike Lake if you keep this up

Keep the stories coming I am fascinated

Fay said...

Wow! Then you would love this place Bert. Lots of Maori history.

Yes, the walking is good for me. Training for the Camino de Santiago next year.

Post a Comment