Saturday, November 20, 2010

Getting to Yangon

I found a computer game place that knew how to get me on to Blogger, only the upload worked different from here, so these are in the reverse order.
This is a view down one of the main streets near me. The crowds on the sidewalks are a combination of vendor tables and pedestrians. You can buy almost anything out there.


Just a closeup of the beautiful clock in the previous picture.


The Yangon River is just down this street.


Another street view, this one not so crowded.


There are many working piers on the river. This is a passenger boat which also carries cargo.


Another river view.

This looks posh but it isn't. These are street sellers too.


Carrying cargo onto the boat.

These young fellows from the temple always look so serious. This boy is on the street (in this case, a coffee house) asking for money. He gave permission to take his picture.


See the ambulance. The building it is parked in front of is a free hospital for the poor.


This machine is for squeezing the juice out of sugar cane. They make it into a drink with water, ice and a little lemon. The locals drink lots of it. Very refreshing. The boy jumped into the picture at the last minute and is posing for me.


My neighbourhood is right next to a huge traffic circle with the Sule Paya (temple) at the center.
There are many nice old buildings nearby.




Here is the Sule Paya.


This is an Indian temple I think.


My room is clean and adequate.


The outside of my guest house, the May Shan. It was highly recommended in Lonely Planet.


This is the airport. It looks like they are restoring it. It is pretty small too, like Saskatoon airport but the serve 5 million people.

So that is my first day.

I have piles of Kyat in my pak as well as my wallet. Also have US dollars (go figure) to use for larger expenses like bus tickets. There are no ATMs here and no way to withdraw more money. The occasional high end hotel will do it apparently in an emergency.

No comments:

Post a Comment