Sunday, December 26, 2010

What to do on Boxing Day in Manila?

There is an area of Manila known as Intramuros which contains what is left of the original Spanish town after the bombings. First stop, the Manila Cathedral where it seemed OK to crash a wedding.



Locals were coming in to use the church for prayers and tourists were busy snapping pictures so I snapped a couple myself.


I must say that dropping your camera in the toilet causes it to behave oddly at times. Sometimes my pictures won't go right-side-up.

Today was one of those days when most of my pictures of Fort Santiago wouldn't go right-side-up.
Here is one of the top of the outer wall.


From the wall a view of the Pasig River.

This is a beautiful courtyard in another building outside the fort.


In the afternoon, being tired of ruins, and having only seen the poor neighbourhoods (Because that's where I live) I decided to go see the corporate city center, an area known as the Greenbelt. Wow! High rises and parks, museums and galleries and restaurants of every cuisine you can imagine. The "green belt" indeed!


Even the older buildings are in pristine condition. By the way, I love these windows.


There was a park running through the middle of it all with restaurants all along offering both indoor and outdoor seating complete with trees with plastic flowers.


For some reason I feel the separation between the poor and the wealthy more strongly here than anywhere else I have been to date.
What's up for tomorrow? Possibly the zoo. I am just killing time until I fly out on the 28th.

No comments:

Post a Comment