Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Share taxi to Inle Lake, Nov 25

Today I took a shared taxi to Inle Lake. It was suggested by my guesthouse as the best way to go.
We were picked up at 8:30 AM and when everyone was collected we went to the taxi stand to get our driver. The car was a wreck but it ran OK. The handles to crank the windows were just in the car somewhere and if you found one you could hold it on and open the window.

Our driver got in and placed this Buddha on the dash. OK, its good to have the big guy looking out for us.


Then he stopped and got fresh temple flowers and that was when I began to worry.


I have never seen such incredibly bad driving in my life. He was skilled in that we didn't hit anything but I still don't know why somebody didn't hit us. Going out of town we straddled the center line most of the way while the driver honked continually. Over here honking means "Get out of the way". Amazingly it worked, the traffic parted and let us through.

The road was terrible, narrow with switchbacks and full of holes. We were darting in and out around the cars and I finally clued in that he was driving it like it was a motorcycle.

One big pot hole flipped the Buddha off the dash and then the driver got his arm tangled up in the flowers. A bad sign I thought when both our spiritual icons have issues at the same time.

Then there were some chickens crossing the road. He drove right over them and we heard one crunch under the wheel. Oh dear, now bad Karma too.

We stopped at a little place for lunch but I wasn't even hungry. I was glad of the chance to stretch my legs though.


Seven and a half hours later we arrived at Nyaungshwe, frazzled, dusty and tired. Across the street from the guesthouse is this monastery.


My guesthouse, The Aquarius, was great. They gave me green tea, fruit and snacks while I registered.

Now for a good nights sleep. Tomorrow I do the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment