Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Dec 7 Back from the Wat.

I left the Wat early this morning, couldn't wait to get out of there actually, so didn't even wait for breakfast.

I have a very nice guesthouse except the bed is hard as a rock. At least it isn't on the floor. There aren't actually very many soft beds that I have encountered over here.

I am in the old part of town which happens to also be the center of town. In the past it was surrounded by this wall. There are only portions of it left.

I am finding I really quite like Chaing Mai. It is so clean and peaceful. It is tourist central for the north and you find tour offices every few hundred feet. I would have liked to trek to a village but it has become so commercialized that the villages they go to are not typical of how life is anymore.

The tours also include elephant riding, white water rafting, zip lines and rock climbing. I couldn't locate a company that offered a simple trek to a normal village so I decided not to bother.

This flower was in a water garden that I passed by.


This is the moat that is around the old city just outside the wall. They have turned it into a park-like promenade.

Today was a low-key day. When I got in my room I repacked my bags and got an Internet hit, then I went out and did some errands including picking up my flight itineraries for the next three legs.
There was a handy little place across the street to get a pedicure and after that I went for soup for lunch.
Tonight I walked over to the night market which is huge and a had great look around but I didn't buy anything. I am trying to keep the weight of my pak down. If I shop very much then I will have to send another parcel home.
I am excited for tomorrow to try some Thai cooking at a cooking school for tourists. This is the place to come if you want to be a tourist but you don't have to do the tourist thing.
I was thinking tonight as I was walking that this city could be any city anywhere. It has a familiar feeling to it, or have I been in Thailand too long?

No comments:

Post a Comment