Friday, December 10, 2010

Dec 10 Mall of Asia

Got up this morning and found out that the Mall of Asia is my closest mall so that is what I did today. It cost 7 pesos (One US dollar = 43.5 pesos) to take the yellow "multi taxi", and about 15 minuets to get instructions and find the right one.

Each country has so many choices in transportation and they are all different. The multi taxi is a truck like a taxi in Myanmar with benches in the back. Each route has the trucks painted a different color and that helps a lot.

The mall is huge. I have been here for hours and haven't even seen it all yet. On the outside level are tons of restaurants. Inside the building the outer row of stores are of the normal variety and the inner portion of stores is glassed off with security to search you as you go in and they are the high-end designer clothing shops. They have a lot of security around and some of them are armed. From what I read and hear Manilla is the dodgiest place I have been so far.



There were no maps at my hostel so I was unaware of where I was in relation to the city. At the mall I got a map and got a coffee to sit and take a look. What do you know - the mall is right on the ocean. You could almost have a whole holiday right here.


Their Christmas decorations in the malls put ours to shame.

All along the water there is a whole night time scene happening in restaurants and bars down there and the mall itself is open until midnight.

Here is another public transportation called a jeepney. They got the old jeeps from the army after the war and have also added a lot of new ones. I haven't figured them out yet.

The driver of the red one called me over to take a picture of his too.



A globe out in front of the mall.


I have chilled out a bit about my dirty guesthouse and will stay there tonight and the next night so I am handy to the airport in the morning. I did go and make a reservation at another one for when I come back so that means I will be in Manilla for Christmas.

It is strange, I hardly see any tourists here. Thailand was crawling with them and even in Myanmar there were lots. In my hostel its mostly all Filipinos.

There are lots of theaters in this mall too. Today I saw the new Harry Potter film. I will probably come back here tomorrow too. I have some stuff I want to get and haven't found the stores yet.

I still need to arrange my flights and accommodation going north and when that's done I can relax for a couple of weeks.

I applied online for my Vietnam visa and it was super easy. They are mailing me updates every step of the way. They will meet my plane when I land and have the visa all ready to process. I go through the fast-track line with their help and it should only take a few minuets.

No comments:

Post a Comment