Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Mandalay, day two, Nov 23

This beautiful clock tower in the center of town was my landmark to know where I was since the streets were mostly not named. I only got lost once where I had to ask for direction.

I had planned to go to the pick-up point and take a bus to a small town to tour but when I got there it was too confusing so I decided to tour Mandalay on foot instead.





All the sidewalks had this little channel of "liquid" running along, but most of them were covered. It smelled a bit like sewer but, you get used to it. The little restaurants usually had their tables sitting on top of it.





This is the moat around the castle. You can see the wall in the background.


The boy is running over to get into the picture. The kids all love to have their pictures taken.


The palace moat is 2 miles square. Here we are at one corner.



The palace is now used to house the army since they are not a kingdom anymore.




I could have gone in but they don't show you much so I didn't bother.






No comments:

Post a Comment