Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Last Day in Paris April 6

I knew the Louvre took a long time to see so I was there when it opened at 9 AM. That was a good idea as the line to get in was short and the crowds didn't show up for a couple of hours. I got off at the Metro on the other side this time and went to Saint Germain's Cathedral first.



All the churches are so beautiful and amazing and each is unique and worth a look.




There was enough light to take this with no flash. I was the only one there. Awesome!




I was just there a few minuets and then crossed to the Louvre.





A fountain in the square where the entrance pyramid is.





The pyramid, I still don't like it.




I didn't have a clue how to approach this mamoth so I just went into the first wing and discovered how easily you can get lost while walking and looking at stuff. I am crazy about the Louvre though and would go again tomorrow if I wasn't leaving.


Here is a view from a window.





I liked Rafael. This is one of his.





I did see her but from behind a crowd. Then I read in the Globe and Mail that people are digging up graves in Italy to get a body that will prove the identity of who is in the painting. That is taking the need to know a bit too far I think.





I would have taken a picture of this scene had I been there. It is awesome that someone actually painted it.



There was a woman in one of the galleries making a copy of a portrait.






I had the electronic guide and it was useful in many ways aside from the commentaries on the individual pieces. It contained a locater which showed you where you were on the map if you keyed in a nearby number and it had tours grouped under specific subjects.


After wandering for a couple of hours I decided to start a tour on the history of the museum. That took me to the basement first to see the only original stones of the building.


The tour lead me from place to place pointing out how the museum changed and developed. I was liking it very much and must have been over half done when the battery died. It was complicated to find my way back to the front and get a new battery and then I couldn't get back to where I left off - the map guide isn't very user friendly.





While I was looking for my tour spot I saw lots of other stuff so it didn't matter. This is in Napoleon III's apartment. The Louvre was a palace once way back. They had a nicer display here than there was at the Palace of Versailes.


I spent six hours there and decided to make a run over to the Opera House before it closed.





What a grand place this is. Here I am taking my picture in the mirror of the grand entrance of the Opera house.


The grand staircase.





The archway to the theater which tourists aren't allowed into. Next time I will go to see the opera.




Then I decided to look at an area called St. Denis. The Metro stop is called Strasbourg-St. Denis. I came out of the Metro and there was this large arch in the middle of the square. I knew there was another one in the city but didn't know where.

It would be worth a walk around the neighbourhood but I opted for coffee and a strawberry crepe.




St.Denis should have been where I got the Metro to take me home but it was under repair so I decided to take a short trip back down the way I came to a stop called the Boulevards. There is a well-known, glitzy shopping center here called Galeries Lafayette.


It is a nice looking area with wide streets and lots of trees.


The Metro is great because they name the stations after the well known stuff that is there, making it easy to find.

The next stop I went to on this line was Inveladies. Here we have a former hospital and military retirement home as well as other military buildings and a private Royal chapel called Eglise du Dome.



Cannons in the courtyard. It was also where the armorments were kept.





Main gate.


One wing.




The windows on the roof are kind of cool.





This is the Royal chapel which I was too late to get into. It looks like a small cathedral.




This building called the Cavalerie was nearby.






You could see the Eiffel tower from there so I decided to walk over there since the closest I have been is on the river beside it. It was a good hike but through a nice park. All the attractions are so big you can see them from a long ways away.


Paris is clever enough not to try to grow grass in heavy traffic areas and just have nice clean sand.




Flower interlude.




OK here we go. The line was short enough that I could have gone up but I am satisfied on the ground.



Looking underneath.




Well, I do have to stop at some point so I looked for a Metro to get me home. I got as far as St. Michel's where I had to change trains and since it is my very favourite place I came up for one more look around.




Now I know why they call Saskatoon the Paris of the prairies. We live outside in the summer like they do in Paris.


It was starting to get dark and there was music being played at some of the Bistros




I have to eat supper anyway so I went to a little place on one of the side streets here so I could stay a little longer. Then I did some last minuet shopping before I caught the Metro home to pack. All I can say is, one week wasn't enough but I am glad I came.

No comments:

Post a Comment