Tuesday, April 5, 2011

April 5, More tired than ga-ga now.

Well, I have a better handle on all the different train systems here as I used them all today. I was trying to go to Versailles again but the stop I went to was not the right one, so with the help of a friendly ticket agent I got a day pass for all trains/all zones and I got straightened around. I got through the Palace quickly because not that much of it is open to the public. Then I decided to take the surface train I had used to get over here and go to the Grande Arche which is at a stop called La Defense. When I got off the train I was surounded by tall buildings and I couldn't see the arch. Actually, I could see a bit of it but I didn't know that was it so I started walking. I came upon a giant thumb maybe 25 to 30 feet tall.


When I looked back from there I could see the arch. I was too close to see the opening at first.



The area is full of corporate buildings. There are no obvious retail outlets on the surface but later I found lots of shops underground.




Here is another view. You can see the size compared to the people on the steps. It is a least twice the size of the Arc de Triomphe.


Another view of the area. The Plaza is called the Esplanade du General De Gaulle. The Avenue of Charles De Gaulle runs between here and the Arc de Triomphe. You can see one from the other. I am standing on the steps of the Grande Arche looking toward the Arc de Triomphe.


Next I hoped a train again to go to the Opera House which closed at 4:30 and I missed it. I will try it again tomorrow because it looked pretty nice.


You can see people coming up from the Metro station across the street. This station is one of the main connecting stations for the different lines.


Around the corned from the opera house is the Opera Brasserie and Bar. It is so typical the way the tables are huddled together in two rows facing the street. None of these little places seem to have much space to spare inside or out and the patrons seem happy to squeeze in elbow to elbow.



I decided to head home early today because I am tired. I haven't been this tired since Australia. I can't say life was easier in Asia because things were difficult in a different way but I didn't seem to get so tired there.


I still had two more train rides to get home from here each on a different system but pretty straight forward.


I picked up some groceries to eat at the hostel tonight in case my doggie bag salad from last night is too dead to eat.


Tomorrow is my last full day in France and I must go to the Louvre. On the 7th I leave for Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment