Thursday, August 26, 2010

Tumbling tumbleweed.

There is not much chance of finding a tumbleweed here in the desert except for me of course. It is hard to remember to watch where you are putting your feet every moment and the pavement is so uneven. This morning found me lying in the middle of the road because I was watching the traffic and not the uneven road and I tripped. Must learn how to walk before I break something. It does seem that vehicles have the right of way here because they look like they are trying to run you over, however, when you are laying down I do think they would at least avoid hitting you. This is my perception for the moment anyway.



I am fascinated by windows. They all seem to tell a story. These are across from my hotel and I believe they are residential, each belonging to a different family.



I think this is/was a combination church and seminary. There was music coming from inside this afternoon so it is probably still in use.



Sign on the church.


You know I love windows......



...........and doors also.



This view is riverside on the Amazon. In their summer time the rains will fill the rivers, all the green in this picture will be covered in water and the house you see will be floating.

All these are built on balsam wood and all will be floating, accessible only by boat when the rains come.

The one on the right in the centre is a bar. You can walk the plank to reach it right now though I have no idea what happens when the river is up. Seems kind of a long walk without handrails, especially if you are a bit tipsy.


This one is abandoned but would have been fantastic in its day. Imagine being on the third floor when it is floating.

The square nearest the river is called Plaza De Armas. It is quite pretty and is often full of people socializing and making music in the evening.


This beautiful church is on the square. I crashed a wedding ceremony there last time I was here.


This building is always full of children so I am assuming it is a school. The children are very protected behind high walls and locked iron gates.


When it rains the moto-taxi drivers put these tarp like screens out in front and they reach about nose level about 6 inches from their faces. Must be cheaper than a real windshield that you could see through. I must remember that when it is raining would be a bad time to lie down in the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment