Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Back from the jungle the first time........

We left camp yesterday morning on the typical, red window-pane-free busses.

Two of the many bungalows in the Blue Morpho camp. Thatched roof and screen siding protected us from the rain and the bugs.




Back in Iquitos it appears that you are out of the jungle but the city is actually deep in the jungle. The climate is in the 30's most of the time.


This building looks like it was built in the rubber boom too.


We arrived back in Iquitos near lunch time and I joined some others of the group for a final lunch together at Aris Burguer. I ordered this light salad which was delicious but huge. Light does not mean small. The "noodles" on top are actually heart of palm in long slivers. Delicious.


I was tired last night so turned in very early. Even though I did little more than rest at camp the Ayahuasca ceremonies were work of another type.


This morning I packed up some clothes and went in search of a laundry. A half a grocery bag full cost me 3.5 soles which would be about a dollar. If they come back nice there will be no more washing things in the hotel room.

Most windows have bars even if they are on the second floor. If you own things you must take measures to protect them yourself.


I am glad to be able to stay in Iquitos a bit longer this trip so I can get familiar with the place. I get so lost because I can't seem to recognize anything. The only way I get around is with a map and street signs and I'm talking only a few blocks from the hotel.

Chances are good that this laundry is safe from theft.


I think the problem is that I can't tell what anything is. Every business that is not open has no apparent store front because they pull down a huge metal door over everything. At first I didn't realize that these were places which would open at some point and then they look completely different and welcoming.




This morning I was really beginning to see what was there and I don't feel so handicapped anymore - good practice for backpacking in Asia I think.

Today will be more of the same until the heat gets to me and then it will be nap time. I try to stay inside during the hottest hours.

Because I was on the dieta I am not eating sugar yet or even sweet fruit so I got a couple of jungle lemons to squeeze into water. They are huge. The ones I got are medium size and once I cut it I found it was nice to just eat some rather than put it into water.


Lemon is beside my mouse to gauge it's size.

No comments:

Post a Comment